Sometimes the devil doesn't tempt us with evil; sometimes he allures us with good, distracts us with obligations, confuses us with compromise, or hinders us with business to keep us from that which is best- service to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! Remember, the devil always offers his best, before Christ will offer His will for your life.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Healthy Minute- Your Health And Trauma

My sister and her husband have been trying to get back to some form of normalcy after his coma and his rehab. To read further about their story, please read Dave's testimony. To date, he is still on a feeding tube. Currently, they are still going through rehab in Pensacola. They are also seeing a chiropractor and trying acupuncture.
Mindi, my sister, asked me about keeping Dave healthy with food while trying to go through rehab. I thought about what I would do if it were me or my husband in this situation. I thought about the damage that may have been done to his digestive system, as well as what I would do to build up my immune system and my muscle system.
The first thing would be the bone broth. Make sure that you use only bones from meat that haven't been treated with hormones or other things. He can drink a pint a day, though more isn't going to hurt him.
The next thing I suggest is gelatin. The green label doesn't gel up like he red does, so that's the one you want to get. This stuff is great for your joints and ligaments! It's very healing for the intestinal walls, too.
Another thing is cod liver oil. This one doesn't have to be refrigerated, and the way it's processed makes it easily digestible and also makes the Vitamins A and D much more concentrated. It only takes 1/8th of a teaspoon a day, so it will last a long time (3 months or more). It comes in different flavors if you're looking to get it for yourself, but the unflavored would do well for Dave.
Then, some super green foods.  This stuff will really help with his health over all. It has stuff for your immunity and probiotics. It will also help to detox your liver, and I believe your kidneys.
But, speaking of probitics, I recommend Dr. Ohira's professional. It's made from fermented soy through an old fashioned process that really concentrates the 12 different strains of probiotic batceria. Since it's fermented it doesn't have to be refrigerated. They come in gel caps that you can pierce and squeeze into the bone broth.
These are what I recommend. I would put a dose of each into the bone broth and blend it up really well, then inject it into his feeding tube.
Another thought, if you haven't had it, would be to see if he could try some of the Callinetic behind and hip exercises. Really, any of them that wouldn't require him getting off the couch, just leaning forward. I know he probably can't do the exact ones she has, but something like those to build up the muscles in small controlled movements. 
Recovering from any trauma to our bodies takes time, consistency, and discipline. Some times we do find ourselves in the condition we are in over night, but getting out of that condition won't be an overnight fix. It can be very frustrating, and the progress may come slowly. But, any sort of progress is a blessing! So keep at it.