Sometimes the devil doesn't tempt us with evil; sometimes he allures us with good, distracts us with obligations, confuses us with compromise, or hinders us with business to keep us from that which is best- service to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! Remember, the devil always offers his best, before Christ will offer His will for your life.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

The Time Of The Judges- Part 12

This time in Israel is the time of the judges. God would raise up men to lead Israel. These men were not kings. Their children weren't judges after them. And they were called by God and suppose to obey God.

I Samuel 1:1-2- Now there was a certain man of Ramathaimzophim, of mount Ephraim, and his name was Elkanah, the son of Jeroham, the son of Elihu, the son of Tohu, the son of Zuph, an Ephrathite: And he had two wives; the name of the one was Hannah, and the name of the other Peninnah: and Peninnah had children, but Hannah had no children.
At this time, Eli was the judge of Israel. Eli was also the High Priest of the Tabernacle. But, his sons who were suppose to take up the priesthood after him were very wicked. So, God was going to raise up another priest.

I Samuel 1:3-6-  And this man went up out of his city yearly to worship and to sacrifice unto the LORD of hosts in Shiloh. And the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, the priests of the LORD, were there. And when the time was that Elkanah offered, he gave to Peninnah his wife, and to all her sons and her daughters, portions: But unto Hannah he gave a worthy portion; for he loved Hannah: but the LORD had shut up her womb. And her adversary also provoked her sore, for to make her fret, because the LORD had shut up her womb.
This man, Elkanah, had 2 wives. The first had children, but the second didn't. She knew the Lord and loved him. She wanted children very badly. Her husband's other wife would make fun of her for not being able to have children.
I Samuel 1:9-11- So Hannah rose up after they had eaten in Shiloh, and after they had drunk. Now Eli the priest sat upon a seat by a post of the temple of the LORD. And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed unto the LORD, and wept sore. And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head.
Hannah went to the temple to pray to the Lord and ask Him for a son. She promised the Lord that the child would be a Nazarite, like Samson, and she would give the child to God to be His prophet.
I Samuel 1:12-17- And it came to pass, as she continued praying before the LORD, that Eli marked her mouth. Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken. And Eli said unto her, How long wilt thou be drunken? put away thy wine from thee. And Hannah answered and said, No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit: I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but have poured out my soul before the LORD. Count not thine handmaid for a daughter of Belial: for out of the abundance of my complaint and grief have I spoken hitherto. Then Eli answered and said, Go in peace: and the God of Israel grant thee thy petition that thou hast asked of him.
The High Priest and Judge, Eli, saw Hannah pray. He told her that the Lord would give her the request that she was praying for.
I Samuel 18b-20- So the woman went her way, and did eat, and her countenance was no more sad. And they rose up in the morning early, and worshipped before the LORD, and returned, and came to their house to Ramah: and Elkanah knew Hannah his wife; and the LORD remembered her. Wherefore it came to pass, when the time was come about after Hannah had conceived, that she bare a son, and called his name Samuel, saying, Because I have asked him of the LORD.
God gave Hannah her little boy! She named him Samuel. She kept Samuel home with her until he was old enough to eat table food, and then she took him to the Tabernacle and kept her promise to God.
I Samuel 1:24-28- And when she had weaned him, she took him up with her, with three bullocks, and one ephah of flour, and a bottle of wine, and brought him unto the house of the LORD in Shiloh: and the child was young. And they slew a bullock, and brought the child to Eli. And she said, Oh my lord, as thy soul liveth, my lord, I am the woman that stood by thee here, praying unto the LORD. For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him: Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD. And he worshipped the LORD there.
Do you know what happens when we keep our promises to the Lord? He blesses us!
I Samuel 2:11, 18-21, 26- And Elkanah went to Ramah to his house. And the child did minister unto the LORD before Eli the priest. But Samuel ministered before the LORD, being a child, girded with a linen ephod. Moreover his mother made him a little coat, and brought it to him from year to year, when she came up with her husband to offer the yearly sacrifice. And Eli blessed Elkanah and his wife, and said, The LORD give thee seed of this woman for the loan which is lent to the LORD. And they went unto their own home. And the LORD visited Hannah, so that she conceived, and bare three sons and two daughters. And the child Samuel grew before the LORD. And the child Samuel grew on, and was in favour both with the LORD, and also with men.
God blessed Hannah with 5 more children! And God was going to use Samuel in a mighty way! But, Eli's sons were going to face the consequences of their sins.
I Samuel 2:12, 17, 22a, 23-25- Now the sons of Eli were sons of Belial; they knew not the LORD.  Wherefore the sin of the young men was very great before the LORD: for men abhorred the offering of the LORD. Now Eli was very old, and heard all that his sons did unto all Israel; And he said unto them, Why do ye such things? for I hear of your evil dealings by all this people. Nay, my sons; for it is no good report that I hear: ye make the LORD'S people to transgress. If one man sin against another, the judge shall judge him: but if a man sin against the LORD, who shall intreat for him? Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto the voice of their father, because the LORD would slay them.
Eli's sons would take advantage of people. They would threaten and hurt people. They made it so that people didn't want to come to the Tabernacle and speak with God. Eli warned them that God would punish them for this, but they wouldn't listen to him.
I Samuel 2:27-29, 34-35- And there came a man of God unto Eli, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Did I plainly appear unto the house of thy father, when they were in Egypt in Pharaoh's house? And did I choose him out of all the tribes of Israel to be my priest, to offer upon mine altar, to burn incense, to wear an ephod before me? and did I give unto the house of thy father all the offerings made by fire of the children of Israel? Wherefore kick ye at my sacrifice and at mine offering, which I have commanded in my habitation; and honourest thy sons above me, to make yourselves fat with the chiefest of all the offerings of Israel my people? And this shall be a sign unto thee, that shall come upon thy two sons, on Hophni and Phinehas; in one day they shall die both of them. And I will raise me up a faithful priest, that shall do according to that which is in mine heart and in my mind: and I will build him a sure house; and he shall walk before mine anointed for ever.
God told Eli that He would kill both of his sons on the same day as punishment for their wickedness. He also told him that He would raise up a faithful Priest who would live forever and do His will.
Do you know who that would be? Jesus Christ!
Hebrews 2:9 17b- But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
Christ was the only high priest who could offer a sacrifice for sins that would forgive every sin forever! God told that Christ would come way back in the time of the judges. And God always keeps His promises.