Sometimes the devil doesn't tempt us with evil; sometimes he allures us with good, distracts us with obligations, confuses us with compromise, or hinders us with business to keep us from that which is best- service to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! Remember, the devil always offers his best, before Christ will offer His will for your life.

Saturday, September 29, 2018

The Life of Jesus Christ- Part 14


The religious leaders of Jesus' day were suppose to not only know the Scriptures, but also obey them. However, these religious leaders made things hard for those around them.
When Jesus showed up, he wasn't the Messiah they expected would come.
Matthew 12:36-42- But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here. The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
Jesus preached only the law. He followed the law. He obeyed the law. But, He didn't follow the traditions that the religious leaders thought that He should, and He showed mercy and compassion and was forgiving when the religious leaders were hard and strict and unrelenting.
Matthew 15:1-3- Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying, Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread. But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
They took the laws of God and mixed them with traditions and made people sinners for not following them.
Mark 7:3-4- For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders. And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables.
Jesus wanted them to see that their traditions went against some of God's laws, but they didn't want to hear what He preached.
Matthew 15:6b-9- Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition. Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mark 7:9, 13- And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.  Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.
Matthew 15:10-12- And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand : Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?
The religious leaders were offended that Jesus would say that they were sinners. They thought they were so righteous and that their ways were what God wanted. They were so blinded by their own righteousness that they wouldn't even listen!
John 8:12-13, 17-19, 23-24- Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true. It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me. Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.  And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
Jesus was sent to show all mankind how to be saved. He was going to keep the law, and also become the sacrifice required by the law. He is the only one who could ever encompass all that the law desired.
But, these religious leaders thought that they were good enough. And since Jesus didn't do what they did, or say what they said, or follow their doctrines, they thought that He was a terrible liar- a deceiving sinner.
John 8:28, 32- Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
Jesus knew their hearts. He knew the hatred that they had for Him. And, He knew that they had already come to the decision that He must die.
John 8:37, 43-45, 47, 58-59- I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you. Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God. Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
Jesus told them that they were not the children of Abraham, because Abraham listened to God's words and obeyed them. He told them they were the children of the devil, because the devil thinks his way is best and ignores what God says.
Then He tried again to tell them that He was their Messiah. He was the Son of God who was there during creation and was there before Abraham. But, they were angry with Jesus and tried to kill Him right there!
But, Jesus knew the time and the place where He would be killed. And it wasn't that time. He walked away from them and left.
John 7:1-  After these things Jesus walked in Galilee: for he would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews sought to kill him.
Just because the religious leaders wanted to kill Jesus didn't mean He stopped doing what God wanted of Him. He didn't go around openly proclaiming that He was the Jesus, but He still went around doing miracles and preaching.
John 10:1-2, 4, 11, 27-28-  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.  I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
Jesus wanted all Israel to know that they were sheep in need of a shepherd. And, He was the Shepherd.
But, they didn't understand Him. So, He tried to explain a different way.
John 10:6-7, 9- This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them. Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.  I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
Jesus said He was the door. He was trying to tell them that He was the door to heaven. He was the only way for any of them to be saved! But, for them to have the ability to acquire salvation, He had to die.
John 10:17-18- Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
He wanted so much for them to understand, but they just couldn't... or rather, they wouldn't!
John 10:23-25- And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch. Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.
They asked Him to say whether He was the Christ- so He told them that He did tell them, and He did miracles in His father's name. He was saying that His father was God.
John 10:31-33- Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
But, when He told them the answer to their question, they tried to stone Him to death, again!
John 10:39-42- Therefore they sought again to take him: but he escaped out of their hand, And went away again beyond Jordan into the place where John at first baptized; and there he abode. And many resorted unto him, and said, John did no miracle: but all things that John spake of this man were true. And many believed on him there.
Jesus left them again and when somewhere else. But, the time was slowly slipping away. His time on this earth was coming to a close.
Matthew 12:9-14- And when he was departed thence, he went into their synagogue: And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
The religious leaders thought that if they could accuse Jesus of breaking the law they could justify killing Him.
Mark 3:3-5- And he saith unto the man which had the withered hand, Stand forth. And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace. And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other.
Jesus knew what they were trying to do. He asked them if it was a sin to do good. But, they had learned not to argue with Jesus, so they didn't say anything.
This made Jesus angry! They didn't want to hear. They didn't want to understand. They didn't want to even try. They only wanted one thing.
Mark 3:6- And the Pharisees went forth, and straightway took counsel with the Herodians against him, how they might destroy him.
They wanted Jesus dead. And, they were soon going to get their chance.