Sometimes the devil doesn't tempt us with evil; sometimes he allures us with good, distracts us with obligations, confuses us with compromise, or hinders us with business to keep us from that which is best- service to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! Remember, the devil always offers his best, before Christ will offer His will for your life.

Sunday, June 30, 2024

The Parable of Jesus (part 11)

 Our last two parables are about sheep and a shepherd.

Luke 15:3-7- And he spake this parable unto them, saying, What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost. I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Leaving the ninety and nine seems a little silly unless that one lost sheep is you! Jesus is saying that He seeks out single sheep because each soul is precious to Him.

II Peter 3:9- The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Luke 15:8-10- Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it? And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost. Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

Notice the joy is not from the angels, but in their presence. It's is God rejoicing over that sinner getting right! He thought so much of humanity that He was willing to be the sacrifice for the sin of the entire world.

Why is Christ telling this parable? Look at the first two verses.

Luke 15:1-2- Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him. And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.

Again, it's our favorite religious leaders complaining about Jesus interacting with those they felt were unworthy. Yes, they were sinners! That's why Jesus came!

Mark 2:17- When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

People are like sheep in the Lord's eyes. They need a shepherd.

John 10:1-6- Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers. This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them. 

A good shepherd is always around the sheep. He goes out with them, leads them to good pasture, and protects them. He calls them and knows each one in His flock. He understands their needs. He sees their misdirection. He is there for them!

A stranger may sneak in, but it's not to care for the sheep. If there's a stranger in the flock, the sheep would do well for run!

Zechariah 11:15-17- And the LORD said unto me, Take unto thee yet the instruments of a foolish shepherd. For, lo, I will raise up a shepherd in the land, which shall not visit those that be cut off, neither shall seek the young one, nor heal that that is broken, nor feed that that standeth still: but he shall eat the flesh of the fat, and tear their claws in pieces. Woe to the idol shepherd that leaveth the flock! the sword shall be upon his arm, and upon his right eye: his arm shall be clean dried up, and his right eye shall be utterly darkened.

This evil shepherd preys upon the flock. He's only there to make merchandise of the sheep.

Notice that it isn't idle (like lazy) but idol (like a false god). These verses are a warning about the AntiChrist. That strange counterfeit shepherd that claims to be the messiah will bring destruction.

Jesus warned them back when He was on earth that there's a big difference between the Good Shepherd and the fake shepherd.

John 10:7-16- Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Jesus is telling the Jews that there is one Shepherd. One way to heaven. And that way is Him.

John 14:6- Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

The other sheep which are not of this fold is us Gentile Christians. Even back then we were on His mind. 

John 10:27-29- My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

No matter how much He tried to tell them about what was to come, they just didn't understand.

Mark 14:27- And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.

And the same thing is true today. It's not enough that we know about Him. We need a relationship with Him, not just a religion about Him. We need to know Him and He needs to know us!

Matthew 7:22-23- Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Galatians 4:3-7- Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world: But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. 

Revelation 20:15- And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Does He know you? Have you been adopted into His family? Is your name written in the book of  Life?