Sometimes the devil doesn't tempt us with evil; sometimes he allures us with good, distracts us with obligations, confuses us with compromise, or hinders us with business to keep us from that which is best- service to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! Remember, the devil always offers his best, before Christ will offer His will for your life.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Healthy Minute- Goldenseal Root

I first learned about goldenseal when I moved to Louisiana.
Growing up in Florida was very different. I didn't really have acne, or a skin care routine. I just used whatever soap my mom had and washed my face at night before going to bed. I'd get the occasional zit here or there, but that was it.
Then I moved to Louisiana, where there's always around an 80% humidity. The winters feel colder than they actually are; the summers make you sweat just walking to the mailbox. My hair became a frizzy mess, and my skin broke out like crazy. I could wash my face at 8:00 am and by 9:30 am it was so oily and nasty!
In came goldenseal. I learned that if I took 2 capsules for 3 days in a row that my face would clear up. The oiliness wouldn't go away, but the acne would! And I began to wonder why.
Goldenseal has been used by American Indians for centuries. They knew about it's healing properties for both internal and external issues. They would wash wounds with it, put it on swollen areas, and even make a tea to drink for other ailments.
Goldenseal is a blood cleanser and immune system booster. It is said that it also contains antibiotic and astringent properties. It helps with fevers, congestion, and even colds. Internally it helps your glands, digestion, and liver.
Goldenseal also contains a whole host of vitamins and minerals- including calcium, Vitamin C, and B complex.Using it as a wash can help eczema and ringworm, and as a paste can be put on boils and abscesses.  It's safe to gargle with and can help gum disease and sore throats.
Since goldenseal is really powerful, it's recommended that you don't take it more than 3 weeks straight. In high doses it can cause inflammation to the mucus membranes in the body. I, personally, only take it every 2 weeks for 3 days.
Another caution, goldenseal can induce labor; so it should be avoided by pregnant women.