Sometimes the devil doesn't tempt us with evil; sometimes he allures us with good, distracts us with obligations, confuses us with compromise, or hinders us with business to keep us from that which is best- service to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! Remember, the devil always offers his best, before Christ will offer His will for your life.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Growing Up Duggar book review

I don't know if you've ever heard of the Duggar family. They are a Bible believing family in Arkansas that has a lot of children. The parents, Jim Bob and Michelle, have a reality tv show and some books which they have written.
The book, Growing Up Duggar, that I am reviewing is written by their 4 oldest daughters.
I could not imagine growing up in a family with almost 20 children. Nevertheless, trying to teach those children character- kindness, thoughtfulness, and meekness. These things aren't natural to us, and certainly aren't the usual responses you see from children.
Growing Up Duggar is filled with scriptural ideas that the Duggar children have been raised to follow. There are practical tips for young ladies when dealing with parents, siblings, and even friends. There's encouragement to do right even if you're not seeing the results yet. There's wonderful exhortation on a relationship with God.
I really enjoyed the examples on child training. Being a mom who wants to learn how to "train up my child", I was very hungry for suggestions on biblical exercises and practices that I could use. There are many ideas in this book which you can see the results of. The "obedience game" is probably my favorite!
I would recommend this book to any young ladies out there, or even to parents. I think boys could read it, too, but I'm not sure that they would readily agree to. In the Duggar girls' own words, this book is about relationships. Our relationship with God will directly affect our relationship with others; and everyone could use a little relationship advice every now and again.