Sometimes the devil doesn't tempt us with evil; sometimes he allures us with good, distracts us with obligations, confuses us with compromise, or hinders us with business to keep us from that which is best- service to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! Remember, the devil always offers his best, before Christ will offer His will for your life.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

How Not To Worship

My family and I recently took a vacation to visit relatives up North. It was wonderful seeing all those faces after 12 years!
On Sunday, we decided to go to my aunt's church. It was the local First Baptist Church of the small town that she lived in. It was also a Southern Baptist church. I had attended a Southern Baptist Church sometime in the 80's and the 90's, but I was not prepared for this!
Upon entering the church, we were handed a pamphlet which welcomed us. Inside was listed the service opportunities, weekly and monthly offering amounts, weekly schedule, upcoming events, and a paper with the impending sermon's outline with sections missing for you to fill in.
Once we entered the auditorium, a few other things caught my eye- the band instruments on the stage, the  projection screen behind it, and the fact that there was no pulpit. As we entered our seats, I saw that there were no hymn books and the only thing on the chairs provided were offering envelopes.
As the service started, another shocking thing took place. The band started to play their contemporary Christian rock music and the lights dimmed. It was almost like a bar scene! I felt very awkward.
The song's words were displayed on the projector screen. I can read music, and if the notes had been there I could have sung along. But, there were just words to songs that I had never heard before, so I sat in silence. The songs that I did know were so jazzed up that I could hardly recognize them.
Then, the "message" was presented- How not to worship, and all I could do was sit and think of the irony!
1) Don't worship whatever way seems best.
The verses that were used were Exodus 32:1-29. The minister said that these people made an image to worship so that they could see God, that they weren't actually worshiping a false god. His point was that we should worship God the way He wanted us to.
He completely overlooked the fact that they were having an orgy during a rock concert while worshiping an idol and claiming that this was the god who brought them out of Egypt! When Moses came from the mountain he heard music, but Joshua thought it was battle cries- rock concert! And, as they approached the camp they saw that the people were naked. They weren't trying to worship the Most High God in their own way.
2) Don't worship with a careless and casual attitude.
I Corinthians chapter 11 was used here, but of course only a few verses were read. He said that the Lord's supper had become careless, and the were making cliques and ignoring the poor. He also said that they showed no respect for God because they didn't prepare or appreciate the opportunity to worship or the power of God.
I don't think he fully understood what this meant because he was using the ESV instead of the KJV. In I Corinthians 11, Paul is fussing at the Corinthians because they had turned the Lord's Supper into a dinner on the grounds. They weren't coming before a Holy God to  remember his sacrifice for their salvation. They were bringing foods to eat as they would have dinner at home, and some weren't getting any and others were eating too much. Paul said they should do this the same way the Lord did- each person only taking a little bit while remembering what Christ did for them. Also, they were to examine themselves before taking of the Lord's Supper. They were suppose to confess their sins to God or face judgement.
3) Don't worship with an ungrateful heart.
Numbers 21:5 was used to  show that an attitude of thankfulness makes worship work and brings a blessing.
I noticed that these points can be valid, but not in that atmosphere. The minister skipped over the parts that would offend his congregation while giving them something to encourage them to be better people.
Matthew 15:8-9- This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me; teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
This isn't what God expects from His church! Where was the blood that saved our souls? Where was the conviction of sin that brought the need of a Savior? These were great swelling words of vanity.
Psalm 24:3-4- Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hand, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
How can we approach the throne of a holy God when we don't confess our sins? Our sins separate us from God, yet that wasn't once mentioned. In fact, the point this minister made of Psalms 24:3-4 was that this was who could worship God, but he never told them how they could become clean and pure!
My friend, Jesse Kragiel, said, "David wanted to build a temple for God to replace the dust, old tent made of animal skins called 'the Tabernacle'. God wouldn't let him, but his son, Solomon, built it instead. At the end of Exodus, God was very specific in what the design of the tabernacle should be, but was silent when it came to the temple.
When the temple was completed, God told Solomon He would dwell there if Israel walked after His ways. Of course, they didn't.
The fact was, God never desired the big, ornate temple. His desire was the dusty, old tent that accompanied Israel tot he Promised Land. So, today, as better and bigger church buildings are built, and more programs and classes and support groups are being developed, we find less and less of God in our worship, and more of self.
I'm not knocking nice things, but don't let those facilities distract form God's presence. He desires humble, simple worship from a pure heart. And, if the focus of a church is anywhere else, don't be surprised when, like the temple in Jerusalem, the church falls apart."
Amos 5:21-23- I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols.
I believe the above verses describe exactly how God felt about that worship service. I left feeling spiritually dead. There was just enough truth to sound convincing and spiritual, but it was all worldly fluff.